Filing your taxes can be a complicated, cumbersome process. As a result, errors sometimes slip through and make it into the tax returns you file. If you noticed errors after you’ve filed with the IRS, you are able to make amendments.

Here are some key tips to help you take the right steps.

Can you file amended returns electronically? 

No. You must file an amended return by mailing the IRS a paper copy of form 1040X.

What changes does the IRS allow you to make?

Taxpayers can amend their return for specific reasons:


  • You can make changes to your return when you have edits such as updating your income amounts, correcting your filing status, and claiming deductions.

Not Allowed:

  • Math errors: You typically do not need to file an amended return to change any math errors. The IRS calculates all math and automatically corrects wrong calculations that your return includes.
  • Missing forms: You don’t need to file a new return if you forgot to include a form, such as your W-2. The IRS will send you a letter to request missing documents.

You typically have three years to file an amended return from the date that you originally filed. Other details apply, so be sure to check out further guidance on the IRS website.

This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax advice. We suggest that you discuss your specific tax issues with a qualified tax adviser. Tips courtesy of